TV105 Please reassure me before I cut

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
gavipb
Window Shopper

TV105 Please reassure me before I cut

Postby gavipb » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:22 am

I decided to start from the inside out. So, the first thing I will be making is my underwear. I am a novice sewer and a little nervous. I want to make sure that I cut out the right pieces. My measurements for the underwear are:

1. Back Width: 14.25"
2. Back Length: 16.5"
3. Bust: 33.75"
4. Arm Hole: 16" Left; 16.75" Right

In following your sizing instructions this means that I would us pattern size F for the Back & Back Facing, pattern size A for the front, front facing, leg band, & leg facings. Do I cut each sleeve a separate size B/D or do I cut both sleeves as a D?

Also, I am not quite sure what dress I will eventually make, do you think it is a good idea to use the lowest neckline so, that it will work with whatever I end up making?
Heather
Site Admin

Re: TV105 Please reassure me before I cut

Postby Heather » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:12 am

Anytime you end up with over 3 sizes difference, it is good to double check your measurements. Your back width seems like it might be a little bit wide. If you haven't seen it yet, take a look at my blog on measuring: http://www.trulyvictorian.net/blog1/blog2.php/patterns-1/taking-your-measurements/

If you are comfortable with your measurements, that is fine too. I think based on the wide size disparity, I would opt for the smaller back width, rather than the larger. That will give you a size E for the Back. And then with the math, you get a size B for the Front. For the sleeves, I would go with an average between your left and right size, and use the size C. For the leg bands and such, use the size B. You can also measure your leg below the knee, and make sure the band will be long enough to be comfortable.

I noticed that you back length is longer than the pattern, so you will need to make some kind of adjustment there. If you follow the link I gave you above, go to the Length Measurements page. It has some good information about where to make length changes to your pattern, based on your body shape. Or, if you need more assistance, let me know.

Oh, I almost forgot, the neckline. The lowest neckline will tend to fall off your shoulders, and will most likely need some kind of ribbon to tighten it up for daytime styles. But it is the most universal neckline. If you are only going to wear your combos with daytime necklines, I like the square neck option; moderately high in back, but low in the front. This one is the most comfortable to wear, I think. But if you want to wear it with a ballgown, then you will need to slip the straps off your arms and tuck them into the top of the corset. This option is available for any neckline really.
gavipb
Window Shopper

Re: TV105 Please reassure me before I cut

Postby gavipb » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:27 am

Well my DH did the measurements, that's why I was a little unsure. I do trust the back length as I have a longer torso. Most tops are too short. I am 5'7", so not super tall but above average. I will look through the link and use it to help me.

Thank you,

Gavi

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”