TV108... Dart?

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
Keireina
Window Shopper

TV108... Dart?

Postby Keireina » Fri May 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Now that I've put my question in the right section...

Hello! I'm a newcomer, both to the site and to the sewing world in general and I want to start working on TV 108 but I seem to have run into an issue. There's a step that mentions sewing the back centre edges together like a dart. The issue I have is that I'm not one hundred percent sure what that means! :confused: I've asked my cousin and she directed me to a website that explains what darts are and how to sew them but I don't understand how to apply that to the pattern! Thanks so much in advance for the help!
Heather
Site Admin

Re: TV108... Dart?

Postby Heather » Fri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm

Welcome!

If you look at the upper back piece, part of the center back is cut on the fold, and then the other part is cut away. When you open out the piece after cutting, the center will have a big "V" cut out of it. The "V" is the part that is like a dart, except the extra fabric is cut away rather than just folded to the side. You will be sewing the "V" as a seam from the top down to the center fold.

Does that help?
Keireina
Window Shopper

Postby Keireina » Sun May 04, 2014 6:36 pm

That helped very much thank you! I do however have another question. What do you mean exactly by sew together ruffles at side seams?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon May 05, 2014 11:46 am

You should have a bunch of strips of fabric for the ruffles, each 7"x44" or something close to that. You want to sew all the pieces together at the short ends, so you end up with one really long strip that is 7" wide.
DannyJane
Costume Afflicted

Postby DannyJane » Thu May 15, 2014 12:29 pm

Heather! Help! My TV 108 is coming along very nicely. However, Ruffle 2 seems to sew right through the channel of Bone 7. There's nothing in the instructions (that I could find) indicating what to do. Am I correct in assuming that I should stop my stitches at the beginning of the channel and resume them at the end of the channel and then maybe sew the ruffle space down once the bones are inserted? If not, what is the appropriate thing to do?

Thank!
We are NOT amused
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu May 15, 2014 12:37 pm

Yes, do not sew over the bone channel. You can just hand stitch it to the fabric only over the casing.
DannyJane
Costume Afflicted

Postby DannyJane » Thu May 15, 2014 4:25 pm

Thanks for answering and proving my instincts are really improving.
We are NOT amused

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”