Doing a hoop skirt - gather or gores?

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
hailstop
Inquiring Mind

Doing a hoop skirt - gather or gores?

Postby hailstop » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Okay, so I'm about to make another hoop skirt for a different costume, one that's quite a bit shorter than the 1860s. However, it's still going to end up about 395 cm in circumference at the base, and about 115 cm circumference at the waist.

Is a 4:1 ratio too much for cotton to gather for a waistband (so I can just cut a rectangle) or should I do a gored hoop?
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Doing a hoop skirt - gather or gores?

Postby Heather » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:16 am

You are taking about the wire hoops still, right? Then I would stick with the gores. The problem I have run into with gathering the fabric onto the wires is that sliding the gathers back and forth on the wires can distort the shape of the hoops. You can get odd bulges in the wires. It can be difficult sometimes to put them back into the correct alignment.

But, if you do decide to go that route, then you can always get whatever amount of fabric you have into whatever waistband size you need. 4:1 isn't that much really, so I doubt it will be a problem. If you need to, you can always use cartridge pleats, aka gauging, to get it all to fit.

Or are you talking about the skirt to go over the hoop? In which case, use the rectangles, not the gores. Then you can gather, pleat, or cartridge pleat the fabric to the waistband. My personal favorite is pleats.
hailstop
Inquiring Mind

Postby hailstop » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:09 pm

Yes, it is a wire hoop, but a new one. This one is intended for a dress that is only going to come down to the knees.
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Postby smt22 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:10 am

If you did a gathered hoop, you could get the gathers how you want them, then cut a piece of tape or ribbon the length of each wire, and stitch it down at intervals along the gathers to stop them slipping. I'm not sure if that would be more or less bother than just making a gored hoop though!
Susan T
"Dear me, let us be elegant or die!" - Little Women

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”