Dating an Edwardian Chemise

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
Orianna
Information Junkie

Dating an Edwardian Chemise

Postby Orianna » Fri May 10, 2013 10:00 am

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this thread, but I've been given what I believe is an Edwardian chemise of French make. It's silk crepe, entirely hand sewn with heirloom techniques: fagoting and hemstitching and silk embroidery. It's fairly straight, but with gussets inserted from the hips down and side darts at the bust. The neckline is straight across, with separate narrow straps. There is a great deal of embroidery along the neckline, as well. It's possible it's from the 1920s, but I suspect it's earlier because of the subtle shaping at the bust and hips, which I believe would be absent in a 1920s chemise. Of course, I could be totally wrong, but I have seen a few examples of this style around the 1910s and early teens.

I'm writing an article about the chemise, so what I'm looking for is documentation to support my dating to the 1910s. I found a fashion plate that shows the same style of straps and straight neckline, and I found a corset advertisement from 1916 that shows a similar style. But I'd like as much "proof" as possible. Can anyone help me out? Fashion plates, advertisements, photographs, paintings--anything that shows a chemise of this style, dated prior to the 1920s.

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”