TV170 - which view?

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
kayteeloo22
Window Shopper

TV170 - which view?

Postby kayteeloo22 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:45 pm

I am planning on making TV202 Grand Parlor Skirt, and due to financial limitations (my hubby cut me off!), I cannot make a bustle to accompany my outfit. I have TV170 and enough fabric to make 2 petticoats. Which view will give off the fullness to fill out the GP skirt without using a bustle? I know that view 1 technically should go under the skirt based on the time period alignment, but will it work without the bustle? If I make 2 and wear both, with that work better? Or, should I do something really crazy like make 1 front with two layers of back? Or cut a much larger size (either partially or all over) and squish it all into my size F waistband?

BTW, I should let you know I am also planning on creating TV303 Side Drape Overskirt, so that might be an issue (or non-issue) as well. Will I need something much stiffer to support a bustle-ish look if I am applying the overskirt, or since I am applying the overskirt, will there be so much fabric back there anyhow it won't be that noticeable that there isn't a real bustle?

So you know, petticoats are going to be in a light-medium muslin cotton, skirt is a light poly peachskin (I know, not period), and the overskirt is a light poly shantung, self-lined (also not period).

Thanks heaps!

Kate
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Re: TV170 - which view?

Postby ljt » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Have you thought about apillow bustle, might not be totally period but until you can get more funds it might work.
LidiaBest
Inquiring Mind

Postby LidiaBest » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:37 pm

I agree that you should just make a pillow bustle. Petticoats are amazing, but there's no way two muslin petticoats will fill out the back of your skirt enough to not need a bustle or some sort.
Lidia Best
kayteeloo22
Window Shopper

Postby kayteeloo22 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:57 pm

I was searching through my borrowed copy of Corsets and Crinolines and saw this picture of a bustle that was just ruffles with horsehair on the edges, attached to a waistband, and literally only covered the back bump area. What if I attempted to create something like this? Do you think if I found a heavier fabric (what would you suggest? broadcloth?) and added the horsehair to the ruffles it would hold up to all the fabric of the skirt and overskirt? Otherwise I will just attempt a pillow bustle, though I don't know what I'm doing there either!
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:28 pm

One more vote for the pillow bustle! It's amazing how well it works. I made this one for my daughter. It's literally two crescent shapes sewn together and stuffed. Make the shapes as big as you need and stuff it as firm as the skirts require. Easy, fast and cheep, a costuming hat-trick!
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Postby ljt » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:31 pm

http://shaunartcosplay.wordpress.com/20 ... le-pillow/
This site has a simple pillow bustle free pattern
LidiaBest
Inquiring Mind

Postby LidiaBest » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:23 pm

The little ruffly bustles with horsehair are cute and would be easy to make, but a pillow bustle would be even quicker, cheaper, and easier to make, in addition to giving you more booty than the ruffle one would.
Lidia Best
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:02 pm

I have to agree, do a quick and easy pillow bustle, and make everything as if it was for over a full wire bustle. Then you can replace the pillow at any time, and everything will still fit correctly.
kayteeloo22
Window Shopper

Postby kayteeloo22 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks guys! I used the pattern ljt posted as a guide, plus my own back hip measurements and very quickly crafted a bustle pillow. I will post a pic as soon as I take one.

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”