corset covers

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
ginnymorgan
Information Junkie

corset covers

Postby ginnymorgan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:35 pm

Does anyone here wear corset covers? I noticed in a photograph that my corset line shows at the top...I don't know if a corset cover would fix that or not...

If you wear them...what pattern do you use?
Lydia
Costume Afflicted

Postby Lydia » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:51 pm

this could be my question!
i would love a good pattern for it!
what i've been reading about corsetcovers is that almost evey women wore one! the reason herefor was to protect the clothing from rubbing against the corset and so protecting it for wear.
Put even the pleanest of woman into a beautiful dress and unconsciously she try's to live up to it!
*Lady duff Gordon*
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:32 pm

I'm not sure everyone wore one. Typically, they were only worn under a sheer bodice, so that your corset would not show through. At least up to about 1900, when the corset cover begins to replace the chemise and it is actually worn under the corset. And you could wear one over your corset too, with ruffles or extra fullness to help fill out teh "Pigeon breast" look of that period.

Will wearing one help remove the corset line? Not likely. But showing a corset line is historically accurate, so you don't need to worry about it. Look through the photos of the period and you can usually see the line of the corset.
ginnymorgan
Information Junkie

Postby ginnymorgan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks, Heather.. I appreciate it...
ggmcrose
Costume Afflicted

Postby ggmcrose » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:21 pm

I know that frances grimble has put out some patterns for corset covers in two of her books, one of them being the edwardian modist. I don't know if you would feel comfortable drafting your own patterns but I've had good luck with her patterns sofar. I know I will be making one, it seems that their corset covers are our modern tank tops. Their nice to have to ware under pretty sheer organza shirts.
"No purpose of Thine can be thwarted" -Job

*Genevieve*
rangerfeline
Costume Afflicted

Postby rangerfeline » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:16 pm

The corset cover that is included in the Laughing Moon petticoat and bustle pattern is quite nice. I made mine up in white muslin with pearl buttons, mostly to keep a black corset from showing through a white shirtwaist.
hdbradley
Window Shopper

Postby hdbradley » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:37 am

Thank you for posting this question! I was wondering if my idea of a loose sheer bodice over a corset cover would be at all historically accurate outfits for my bridesmaids to wear! They prefer not to wear corsets, so I was trying to come up with something that would look period without showing off the non-period silhouettes. This answers me perfectly! Thank you!

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”