Eep - I ordered it!

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
faerenach
Costume Afflicted

Eep - I ordered it!

Postby faerenach » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:25 am

*fanning herself excitedly*

I just ordered the Natural Form underwear set of patterns! Combination, corset and petticoat... here I come!

This will be my first foray into serious (machine) sewing, so everyone will have to have the LOWEST expectations possible.
Last edited by faerenach on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danibelle
Inquiring Mind

Postby Danibelle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:17 am

Don't worry...you'll do fine! Heather's patterns are the absolute best to work with. I taught myself to sew and her patterns were the first I really dove into. I'm sure you'll have no problem working with them and if you do, there are plenty of friendly people here and at The Alley to help you through.

Good luck!
-dani
“You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.” - Dave Barry
faerenach
Costume Afflicted

Postby faerenach » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks for the support! I've been hanging around the Alley and the TV boards for a while now, with nothing to contribute. I know you guys are all super nice, and will definitely be asking questions.
Kit
Costume Afflicted

Postby Kit » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:05 am

I have my combos cut out now, but then got sidetracked helping a friend with inventory for an upcoming Renn Fair.

The people on TV and Belle Alley are friendly, helpful and talented!
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris - If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar
http://amsterdamesshop.com/Home_Page.php
Urban Gypsy
Inquiring Mind

Postby Urban Gypsy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:22 pm

Oh good for you! I hope you have great fun making them; Heather's patterns are such a joy to work with. Really looking forward to hearing how you progress.
faerenach
Costume Afflicted

Postby faerenach » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:10 pm

Woo hoo!!!! I just got my patterns today in the mail!!

I am a little surprised at how much they charged me for customs, though. Geez! 25% of the total?
the_costumer
Costume Afflicted
Location: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, CANADA

Postby the_costumer » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:16 am

Where do you live??

I'm in Canada, and I've ordered from Heather and they just showed up in my mailbox... no customs at all.
Urban Gypsy
Inquiring Mind

Postby Urban Gypsy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:34 am

Ouch! I remember getting badly stung by customs for a pair of shoes I ordered from the States. Again, it cost almost as much as the shoes themselves. To add insult to injury, they'd sent the wrong pair! :shock:

I don't know if you're in the UK or have a similar system to here, but I seem to recall it's something that comes in to play when the goods are over a certain value. With things like sewing patterns its worth trying to find a way of getting them shipped in separate parcels. Also worth seeing if there's an alternative supplier; Vena Cava, for example, stock an awful lot of Heather's patterns.

Sorry you had such a nasty surprise though. I still think Heather's patterns are worth any price, but I might just be a smidge biased! :D
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:13 am

Customs is definitely something to think about if you are outside the US. Every country is different, so you can contact your local post office to find out the fees involved. Then adjust your ordering to suit the customs fee structure. Or as mentioned earlier, make your purchases from a dealer close to you. We now have dealers in United Kingdom - Vena Cava and House of Charlot, Germany - Fantasy Kleidung , Netherlands - Naaipatronen.nl and Victorian Elegance, and Australia - A Rare Notion are the ones I can think of off hand. There is a list on the links page of our website that should be current with all our dealers names. (if you are a dealer and not on the list please let me know so I can add you!) Some dealers only carry a few of the patterns, so check and see what they offer.
faerenach
Costume Afflicted

Postby faerenach » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:19 pm

Oh, I'm glad I got them - customs or no! I just wasn't expecting so much on top of the total. Le sigh.

the_costumer, I'm just outside Toronto. They don't leave them in mailboxes here - I had to go pick mine up at the post office, as no one is at the house during the day (when they tried to drop it off).

I just had a look at Farthingales (which is the only Canadian site I can think of) but they really only have TV things like corset patterns (which I now own anyway!) and hoop skirt/bustle patterns. Ah well.
the_costumer
Costume Afflicted
Location: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, CANADA

Postby the_costumer » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:09 pm

that's really weird how I passed customs and you didn't...

having that said, I purchased something on ebay and it was delivered to my house by puralator or someting like that and I didn't pay anything. The next week I ordered another of the same from the same seller/location and it came via canada post and I had to go pick it up and pay for that one through Canada Post.

I guess it's luck of the draw!!
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:26 pm

Often a company which carries a few of someone's products can get the rest of the line. You could request Farthingales special order Heather's patterns for you. It might not be any cheeper, but then again it might.
faerenach
Costume Afflicted

Postby faerenach » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:15 pm

Well, I've started sewing. I've had a few problems, but have been able to sidestep them for the time being.

First off... made a huge boo-boo and didn't learn what 'grain' was until AFTER I had cut the pieces out. I've decided that for the bigger pieces, I am close enough and think I *might* be able to get away with it.

The other thing is that my sewing machine is having a hard time with the cotton. It's finding it tough to prick through and makes scary snapping noises every so often when it fights the fabric. It's actually pulled in places, but I've tried to iron out most of it and it seems ok.

And since I don't fancy myself a very pretty machine sewer, I've handstitched instead of machine stitched the front facing topstitches with a lovely cotton embroidery thread in a light grey/green/blue. It looks lovely.

Also, I've started doing some delicate blackwork embroidery (with the same colour as the handstitched facing part) at the yoke of it, and it looks scrumptious. I bet it's going to look great when it's done.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:08 am

It sounds like you machine needs the needle replaced. If you needle is dull, or the tip breaks off, then it will snag the threads instead of sliding between them. Or if you are using a heavy needle on fine fabric, the same thing can happen. Check your needles often!!
faerenach
Costume Afflicted

Postby faerenach » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:34 pm

Thanks Heather! That's probably exactly what it is.

The sewing machine doesn't get used too often, so who knows when the needle was last changed!
faerenach
Costume Afflicted

Postby faerenach » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:08 am

Heather - I changed the needle and cleaned out the bobbin container (it was slipping stitches, for some strange reason) at my mom's suggestion, and it seems to be working fine again. Last night, I got the leg facings and the back facing on.

And I have pictures!!

diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:52 pm

When I first started out, I noticed that snapping noise and mis-stitching on my machine. It turns out I had the bobbin in wrong.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:23 pm

A neighbor of ours, a long time ago, gave us her old machine after she had gotten so frustrated with it. She just couldn't figure out what was wrong. She was going to purchase a new one.

My mother looked at the machine to see if she could find the problem... She did.......

the needle was in backwards. :shock:

She turned it around and it worked like a dream. It went back to a very grateful neighbor. :D
Lioness
faerenach
Costume Afflicted

Postby faerenach » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:01 am

Hee hee! That's a good story, Lioness. I am sure I have only STARTED to make huge mistakes. And mine haven't even been that bad.

Also, I've nearly finished! All I have left is to sew on the snaps I'm going to use instead of buttons (buttonholes intimidate me) and then figure out if I need to put darts in (which I probably will, because I have a supatiny waist).

And here are some pictures, complete with blackwork embroidery!
(Try to ignore the messy room)

Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:35 pm

Looks good :) Try it with a corset over before deciding to put in darts. I have a friend who corsets down to 19" and I dont think her combi's have darts in.

I made up the seperate drawers and chemise TV patterns and while there is plenty of material in the chemise, its not noticable when I have my corset on. Mind you, I used superfine cotton lawn which is just yummy to wear :)

Tiffers

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”