Peek-a-Boo Chemise

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
unfinishedprojects
Costume Afflicted

Peek-a-Boo Chemise

Postby unfinishedprojects » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:22 am

How does one deal with a low, square cut evening neckline? I have yanked my chemise down as low as it will go, but it still keeps peeping out at the corners. I know I could hide it with lace, but I want to keep the neckline open.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:54 am

The ideal is to have different chemises to match different necklines. So for the low square necklines, a square neck chemise is the best. But you can also bupp a round neck chemise very low and wide before tightening the corset. The corset will keep the chemise from shifting back.
Elin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Elin » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:09 am

If you don't have several different chemises, would it work sewing two small hooks, one at each corner of the neckline of the bodice (on the inside) to keep the chemise from riding up?
Elizabeth W
Inquiring Mind

Postby Elizabeth W » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:35 am

If you can't make another chemise (or until you do make one) safety pins will keep your chemise in place, pin from the inside of the chemise into the lining of the bodice and it should hold it in place well enough to stop most of it showing.
But ideally, you should leave the neckline on your chemise till last and then use the neckline of your gown to determine the neckline of your chemise.
Elizabeth W.
The Magpie Costumer
unfinishedprojects
Costume Afflicted

Postby unfinishedprojects » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:13 am

Thanks all! I just have the one chemise right now, and won't have the time to make another any time soon (my user name is unfinishedprojects for a reason ;) ). I'll experiment with the pinning/hooking technique.
elensari
Inquiring Mind
Location: Where ever I go, there I am. Currently Arlington, TX.

Postby elensari » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:05 am

I know it will sound terribly gauche, but we slip the sleeves of our chemises off and fold or stuff them between ourselves and our corsets at the armpit. I always leave a little out to protect my dress and corset. I just smooth it so it is not lumpy under my dress. I am certain it will lead to the decline of Western civilization, but when you only have one, it works, if the hooks do not.
~k
Elegance is a good taste, plus a dash of daring -C.Snow
http://www.waistedefforts.com
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:08 am

Actually, that is what I do with sleevless bodices. And I think it is a historical fix too. There are a lot of chemises with buttons on the shoulders, and the only reaason I can see that you need them is to be able to slip off the straps for those lower bodices.
unfinishedprojects
Costume Afflicted

Postby unfinishedprojects » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:05 am

Mine is sleeveless with buttons on the shoulders- problem solved! I kind of wondered why the buttons were there when I made it.

I was playing around with it a bit and was going to tie a ribbon through the armhole and neckline to make a narrower "strap", but unbuttoning it is much better.

Thanks!
Miranda Miller
Information Junkie

Postby Miranda Miller » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:44 pm

I'm curious as to which chemise pattern you are using that have buttons at the shoulder. I've not noticed anything like that, but sounds really nice.
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:21 pm

I'm worse than all of you...I wear either a low necked tank top with thin straps or a cotton tube top!! *hides in shame*
"I firmly believe that every human being has a duty to make himself as attractive as possible," Erté wrote. "Clothes are a kind of alchemy; they can transform human beings into things of beauty or ugliness."
Bethany
Costume Afflicted

Postby Bethany » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:14 pm

Miranda Miller wrote:I'm curious as to which chemise pattern you are using that have buttons at the shoulder. I've not noticed anything like that, but sounds really nice.

The chemise from Simplicity's 5726 pattern buttons at the shoulders with a loop and button system. It's very handy.
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:12 am

Ahh, that would be THIS one: Image
Lioness
Miranda Miller
Information Junkie

Postby Miranda Miller » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:21 am

I don't believe I have that pattern.... but I make pick it up at the next 99 cent sale at Hancock....
unfinishedprojects
Costume Afflicted

Postby unfinishedprojects » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:56 am

Yep- that's the one. I'll try to get around to posting a picture eventually...

I found that this pattern runs at least a couple sizes too big, so ignore the size chart on the envelope. Measure snugly around your shoulders at armpit level and choose the size where the front & back band measurements are about the same as you are. There will be a bit of give from the fabric too, so you don't want it falling off your shoulders.

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”