Does anyone have this issue?....

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
Dana
Master Gabber

Does anyone have this issue?....

Postby Dana » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:16 pm

Petticoats creeping up in front as you walk and bunching up on the thighs. If this has happened to you and you've figured out how to solve it, please share with me your remedy.
kate
Inquiring Mind

petticoats

Postby kate » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:05 pm

No, not as you describe... more often, mine bunch up between my ankles and calves. And sometimes even taking my skirt with them. I am thinking about the TV108 bustle, with the two wires running round the bottom as a solution to my problem. Perhaps it would help with yours as well. Although, not if you're wearing a natural form ensemble. :wink:
Beth
Information Junkie

Postby Beth » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:15 pm

many of the older dresses had little weights in them.. little so you dont bruise yourself....
Coffee Em
Inquiring Mind

Postby Coffee Em » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:13 am

If the problem is static cling, you can get anti-static spray from Clotilde's or Nancy's Notions (I think they both have it), and possibly the laundry or notions section of your local stores. Or you could rub the fabric surfaces and your stockings with a Bounce fabric softener sheet, which according to my mother in law, will fix every problem ever encountered in this world or the next. :wink:

Cheers,
Coffee Em
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:38 am

It happens with the skirts that are close fitting in front. That's either a natural form or a late bustle with an overskirt that keeps things close to the knees. It's not due to static. It has something to do with the close fit.

I've heard of the weights in the hem before. I may give that a try. Drapery weights would work although I think fishing weights would be less expensive.
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:58 am

Dana I use a stiffer lining on my skirts and it seems to help the skirt hold its shape and stay put. Perhaps a crinolin interlining? Of corse thats not much help for a skirt that is finished...weights...hmmm...neat idea.
Josie
Greeneyed Gypsy
SASS# 60086
flygirlco
Window Shopper

pettycoat issues

Postby flygirlco » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:59 pm

Don't know what type of skirt you are wearing but I had the same problem with an 1890's type skirt. I actually went to wearing a pettycoat that had less gathers at the waist so there was less fabric around the thigh area. I started wearing a pettycoat that was a slimmer fit at top and had more fullness towards the bottom and it solved the problem for me. But the weight thing sounds like a really good idea if it is a bustle type skirt. Good luck! Has anyone actually tried the weight thing? I would be interested to know how it worked out. Cherri
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:21 am

This is a tad late.. but i have had the same issue with some chemises for my SCA gear.

This moslt happened with my very lightweight voille ones, and almost never happened with a heavier linen. Even a reasonably light linen..

This porbbaly also comes down to volume of fabric as well as weight: if you have an undergarment of light fabric that is rather voluminous this seems to be more likely;)

I'm sure ruffles and tucks and the like at the hem of a more fitting petticoat would also be similar to having weights at the bottom. With the advantage of holding skirts at the bottom out a bit more (I have to do this for my own gowns, even natural form.. they just fall in at the back of the calves to much without a fuller hemmed petticoat.)
[url=http://www.arrayedindreams.com]arrayedindreams.com[/url]
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:17 am

I agree undergarments make the look... and I think even in natural form period we would be surprised just how much was REALLY worn under the skirts...probably several layers of skirt, petticoats...drawers ect.

Im working on a satin skirt and I am just floored with the number of layers it is going to take to make this skirt hold shape ...I wish it was a 90's patterns as this fabric has that great 90'2 drape and swing...sadly I am attemption an early 70's look ... I think I am going to have to make a petti coat with layers of ruffle all the way down to get the look I want...as it is early 70's and the hoop was just out of fashion... I can see these very full peticoats being in use...something had to support those very full skirts.
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”