stockings?

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
pokidi
Inquiring Mind

stockings?

Postby pokidi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:36 pm

Hello everybody,
I'm coming to the point where I'm going to need stockings soon.
I would love silk stockings, but I really wonder where to get them or how to make them! I can't remember ever having seen a sewing pattern for stockings, but maybe I just haven't been looking in the right places?
So, I was wondering if you have any suggestions on where to get/how to make silk stockings?
Thanks in advance!
Canned Insanity
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:39 am

Well, as far as patterns are concerned, Laughing Moon has one with their Cancan/Saloon pattern: http://lafnmoon.com/saloon_girl.htm
Image Image
Lioness
valleyviolet
Information Junkie

Postby valleyviolet » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:25 am

I've been really happy with the offerings at sock dreams (http://www.sockdreams.com/_shop/edit/index.php I especially love these although they aren't silk: http://www.sockdreams.com/_shop/pages/p ... ID_756.php). If you want just plain silk (like pantyhose, but perhaps as separate stockings) you might just try Victoria's Secret. Their thigh high pantyhose are extremely high quality.

I have this vague memory that the Dita Von Teese book I own has some leads on seamed stockings too. If you want I can dig that out. :)
"The difference between clothing and fashion is a lack of peer pressure."
pokidi
Inquiring Mind

Postby pokidi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:33 am

That would be wonderful!
I'm a bit careful to just buy silk stockings, since silk isn't a stretchy material and I don't have thing legs :lol: !
that's why I would prefer to be able to make them myself!
Canned Insanity
Alessandra
Inquiring Mind

Postby Alessandra » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:19 pm

Wow, Pokidi, that's impressively ambitious!

You need a silk knit (like jersey) to make stockings. It actually is very stretchy, but expensive and hard-to-find. Silk sheer enough for modern-style stockings may be *very* hard to come by. I saw a basket of Mrs. Poiret's silk stockings, and they were in brilliant colors in a thin knit like the kind you find in silk long underwear these days.

I have sometimes found silk knits from Thai Silks, for example: http://www.thaisilks.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=356

As far as I know, most stockings were knitted to shape, not sewn to a pattern. I can't judge Laughing Moon's pattern from the illustration here, but if it has a front seam it may not be appropriate for what you want. Still, what the hey, they would be neater than any modern nylon or lycra approximation (and probably more comfortable too).
Ms Clancy
Inquiring Mind

Postby Ms Clancy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:30 am

Mine are not silk. But i purchased a pr of over the knee opaque stockings. I was goin to do some fancy embroidery on them. But i found these appliques and gave it a try.

This is how they worked out.
ImageImage
Elin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Elin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:47 am

Patricia T
Inquiring Mind

Postby Patricia T » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:52 am

Cute stockings Ms Clancy! Did you have to stretch them, as if a leg were in them, as you did the applique? Is the applique sewn on?

I have visions of you in a pike position sewing appliques on your stockings which are on your legs! :lol: :lol: :lol:
SarahG
Costume Afflicted

Postby SarahG » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:14 pm

Silk knit jersey is available at a couple of places online: http://silkconnection.com/products/fabric/silk/knit/
and here: http://www.thaisilks.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=knit

But depending on how authentic you want to go with this, I'm inclined to think that finding/making silk stockings may not be worth the trouble. It's my understanding that all stockings until the 1940s had a seam up the back--during WWII, there are stories of women who couldn't get hold of stockings because of rationing, drawing a line up the back of their legs so that no one could tell they were bare-legged. *shocking*. You'll likely have to seam them up the back, which will be extremely difficult if you don't have a sewing machine or serger that can handle knits. And although I haven't tried it myself, I can't imagine that they would be terribly durable to wear. My recommendation would be to focus on finding opaque thigh-high stockings, and ignore the spandex content. :-)

Here's an article that's not on the Victorian era, but has some relevant info: http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?s=&c=&d=&e=&f=&g=&a=172&w=2. If this link doesn't work, enter "silk knit" in the search engine to find it. The article is titled "Silk Stockings the Easy Way." I hope some of this is useful to you.

SarahG
pokidi
Inquiring Mind

Postby pokidi » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:38 am

Hi all!
I've searched everywhere to find the silk needed to make the stockings,
but couldn't find any. I'm not feeling ok about buying it online, because it's such expensive material I just want to be able to hold it and feel it before buying.
I did find some pantyhose in opaque, I figure I could cut the upper part of and then hem it.... I'll be searching the markets for a nice one in the colour I want!
I think with the limited range of patterns and materials I can get, this would be the best option.
Thanks everybody for the suggestions!
Canned Insanity
clementine
Information Junkie

Postby clementine » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:39 pm

Be forewarnned you'll never want to wear regular nylons again once you wear real silk stockings. I have 2 pair of silk stockings from the 1940's they feel fab to wear. I hate nylons with a passion,always have,to me theres a creepy feeling about them,hard to explaine. But the silk ones...feel wonderfull and they wear like cast iron..no kidding. They dont run like regular nylon panty hose either.
Orianna
Information Junkie

Postby Orianna » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:06 am

Instead of cutting up a pair of regular pantyhose, why not look for a pair of traditional stockings? They're meant to be worn with garter belts, but you can easily roll the tops over an elastic or ribbon garter to hold them in place above your knees. They would be just about the right length and already finished at the top, plus being better quality and more comfortable than altered pantyhose.

Any department store should have them. Also, Victoria's Secret has some that are very nice--I don't know the content but they feel like silk and are heavenly to wear! They're semi-opaque, perhaps something to save for a ball or evening event?

Also, look in the sock department at Target. They have knee-high socks that are much thinner than normal socks but thicker than stockings--just right for historical use! They're opaque, and they come in all sorts of fun colors and designs, many of which are historically accurate. I bought a pair in white, with a clocked design at the top, but they also have stripes and other prints. They are so comfortable that I wear them around the house! Also, they are very cheap, generally around $2 or $3 a pair.
pokidi
Inquiring Mind

done the stockings!

Postby pokidi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:38 am

I'd like to thank everybody who helped me out on finding good stockings to work with! I bought these opaque stockings, I love the way they look.
There's a topic with links to the pictures here:
http://www.trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/ ... 4395#34395

And, don't laugh, but I actually decorated the stockings while wearing them! :lol:
Canned Insanity
SarahS
Inquiring Mind

Re: stockings?

Postby SarahS » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:56 am

I dug this up because I made some stockings using the LM pattern. This was my first clothing project and it went better than expected. My first couple had a few lumpy seams in the heels, but then I got the hang of it. There is only one seam up the back. I used a serger as recommended with a 4 thread stretch stitch trimmed flush for no bulk but you could do it on a sewing macing and trim by hand. I used cotton rib knit rather than the recommended "swimsuit" fabric it worked fairly well but I widened the pattern a bit at the foot to accomodate the lower stretch and my foot size (8c) this worked well. I think this will work with some lower cost silk cut on the bias I'm ordering some sample yardages to try. A lot cheaper than buying ready made. Oh I lengthened the pattern about 4" for the cooler weather...easy.
rangerfeline
Costume Afflicted

Postby rangerfeline » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:57 am

I bought silk stockings for my wedding day here: http://hosieree.com/products/CChampsElysees.html
They're verrry nice, but not very cheap.
SarahS
Inquiring Mind

Postby SarahS » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:49 am

Yikes! If it works I think these stockings will use around a yard of silk per pair when cut on the bias so you can calculate the savings, even twice that wouldn't come close to those prices. Probably won't try this until April I'll let you know if it works, or doesn't. I was paying $13/ pair for cotton ones now that's down to $3-$4 (depending on how many pairs you average the cost of the pattern over). It'll pay for the serger in a few years esp. if the silk ones work :).
rangerfeline
Costume Afflicted

Postby rangerfeline » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:55 am

They aren't for everyday, certainly. But after making my own wedding dress and petticoat, doing my own flowers, etc. etc., I figured I was due for a treat. :)
I have never seen a fabric quite as fine for sale anywhere. They are like nylon pantyhose fabric, only lighter, softer, slightly less stretchy -- and, unlike nylons, you can wear them more than once before they self-destruct. :roll: If I won the lottery, I'd buy a pair for every day of the week.
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:17 pm

Although none of this is silk I thought I would mention welovecolors.com. They sell tights and whatnot in I think 60+ colors. I wore a pair of their fishnets (the fishnets come in all the colors) at an event last night. Beyond the fact they were bright green they stayed up really well and were very comfy. They also sell plus sizes in the majority of their stuff.
Aka Wilhelmina Frame, Editrix de Mode, steampunkchronicle.com
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:57 pm

My housemate works for [url]sockdreams.com[/url]; they have an assortment of socks and stockings in various fibres - I'm particularly excited about some of the wool ones. The only thing to note is that if your leg is bulky (including muscular - I've got bicyclist's legs, for example) then socks won't go up quite as high as on their tiny bird-models, and sometimes the thigh-highs just won't fit. They're good at mentioning the maximum measurement for thigh-high socks and stockings, but a lot of their "over the knee" socks are just "knee-high" on me.
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:35 am

If you're in the states, check out Target. It may be too late in the season now, but I've picked up great cable knit, striped, white, and flesh toned knee and over-the-knee socks there several times now for ridiculous prices. To be honest, I prefer knee socks as I have heavy thighs and over-the-knees tend to bind uncomfortably on me, and no one will see mine anyway. My combos are below knee length, and my skirts are always walking length. I do love drooling at the variety on Sock Dreams, though :)
:fence:

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”