Victorian Petticoats?

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
LiLadyLuthien
Information Junkie

Victorian Petticoats?

Postby LiLadyLuthien » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:31 pm

I've got a question about victorian petticoats. If you don't already know, I'm making the Wishing gown from phantom of the Opera Broadway musical. I'm just wondering. How many petticoats did victorian women wear?
Miss Elisabeth
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Elisabeth » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:07 pm

There was a thread about that somwhere.. can't find it. From what I know, it depends. Most wore two or three, but you can wear as many/few as you wish. Somtimes one under the hoop or bustle, another to go over it.

Hope that helped some

Miss E.
AspiringCostumer
Inquiring Mind

Postby AspiringCostumer » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:41 pm

Well... the Wishing Gown is- what- late bustle? If you use TV101 and make the ruffled overlay, you really don't need another petticoat. If it's Natural Form you need a few- two or three, maybe. For hoops and bustles, you need the actual structure plus one or two petticoats on top to soften the line. Of course, if we rewind to the pre-hoop era (which is still Victorian), women wore no less than six petticoats weighing up to fourteen pounds! I read that somewhere, I'm positive, just not sure where.
Lady Fleur

Postby Lady Fleur » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:06 pm

Sometimes those women wore up to 9!! Some channel set feather goose down. Like a feather bed (for warmth). But for that dress and comfort 1-2 is good!!
Smiles
Tracylynn
Karolina
Information Junkie

Postby Karolina » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:55 pm

I just recently made the TV101 with the ruffled overlay and the TV170 Petticoat (view 3) and it looks really good :D I'm going to stick with only one petticoat because it's very hot as it is when I wear all the skirts!
LiLadyLuthien
Information Junkie

yea

Postby LiLadyLuthien » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:42 am

I was thinking about this. If I can find that fabric by the end of july (I swear, finding this fabric is frying my brain and killing my eyes by staring at the computer screen, lol) My mom said I can wear it when we go see Phantom of the Opera! I've always wanted to wear a costume on a dya besides halloween (hehe...what's better than having people stare at you really weirdly..) ...and POTO is my first braodway show... We might to see it in august "quote" hottest day of year in NJ. And MDB said I might wanna wear a few petticoats to keep the structure of the skirt looking nice.

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”