Sizing confusion forTV110

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
jewels
Costume Afflicted

Sizing confusion forTV110

Postby jewels » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Hi Heather,
I've read the posts on choosing the right size for the corset but I'm still confused. My bra size is roughly 34C but I say roughly because one of my breasts is slightly larger although at times I can wear a 34B depending on the bra. My normal waist is 29 and my high hip is 35. I have a long torso so the length is 9 inches. I can't figure out what size to make. Any help would be great.
Thanks.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Sizing confusion forTV110

Postby Heather » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:32 pm

What is your full bust measure? You need that one too, to help pick a size.
jewels
Costume Afflicted

Postby jewels » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:33 pm

My full bust is 35 inches.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:00 am

Assuming for a moderate amount of waist reductions, then subtract 2" from your natural waist measure, for measurements of 35" bust, 27" waist, 35" hip.

If you start with the waist measure of 27, that would be a size E.

Going up the chart to the A cup would be for a 36" bust. The extra 1" here is good, as often you need to increase bust and hip as you decrease the waist. Nothing disappears, it just moves to a new location. If you have a narrow rib cage, and don't need a lot of taper in the sides and back, then you could go with the size D bust, with the B cup, instead. This will put more room in the cups, less in the rib cage.

For the hip, go down to the D. Again, the 1" extra isn't a bad thing, as you need room for the waist to relocate.

So recap:

Bust: E-A cup, or D-B cup depending on body type.
Waist: E
Hip: D

If you are going for more waist reduction, then you could go down to a D waist, but for a casual corset wearer, I think the 2" would be better.

I hope this helps.
jewels
Costume Afflicted

Postby jewels » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:32 am

I think I might have an older pattern because the sizing chart I have says the E waist is 29 and since I probably will only do the 2 inch reduction that would bring it to 27 which is sizs D on my sizing chart. I think the A cup 34 would work but the D hip? That would be adding 3 inches in the the hip?

My other question is that I am totally unfamiliar with fading the lines to get the right size. Any hints? Thank you so much for this.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:16 pm

Huh, I don't remember changing the size chart, but it is possible I made the change when converted the pattern to CAD format. My memory is not what it used be, unfortunately.

For the hip, go down one size from your waist size. The hip on this pattern is a bit large, so it is not unusual to go down a bit in the hip. So that would make it a size C for your copy?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:26 pm

This diagram might help you. Basically, when you trace the pattern, make dots at the waist and then at the bottom of the hip at the size lines you have chosen. Then place a pin at the dot for the waist, and pivot your tracing paper so that the hip dot lines up with waist equivalent size line. In your case, pivot the C hip dot to the D sie line. Then you can trace that line as it is, only now it will be angled to the new size.

pivot.jpg
pivot.jpg (20.57 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
jewels
Costume Afflicted

Postby jewels » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:57 pm

I think I get it about fading the lines. When the new pattern gets here I'll have to experiment a bit. I'll be using the newer size chart so do I go down one size from my natural waist or the corseted one?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:08 pm

Down one size from your corseted waist size. So whatever your chosen pattern waist size, do the hip size one size smaller.

Return to “Corsets”