gap?

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
juliecmcgee
Window Shopper

gap?

Postby juliecmcgee » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:09 am

I just made my first corset, and while I am fairly happy with it, it seems to be growing the more I wear it. I am going to make another one now that I have a better idea what I am doing, but I need to choose a new size to make the bust slightly smaller. I was wondering, when I lace it up, how much of a gap should there be at the back? Right now i am almost fully closed. The top part is all the way closed and it feels slightly loose at the bust, so I think I should also reduce the "cup" size.
Thanks for any input you have - this is the first "historical" item I have made and I think I am in love. The lines of the garment are just beautiful, something you don't see too often in modern clothing!
Julie
Heather
Site Admin

Re: gap?

Postby Heather » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 am

Corsets do "break in" a bit over the first 10 hours of wear. The corset should feel one size too small when you first make it, so it will be about right after the breaking in. The ideal wearing gap (after the break-in) is 1-3" for smaller frames, but can go up 1-5" for larger frames. A 2" gap is considered perfect.

The bust area should not be a snug as the waist. It should support your bust without compacting or overly uplifting over the top. If you have a good shape, and there are no gaps in the cup, then it sounds like you have the correct size cup. More important is the gap, which should be very nearly the same from top to bottom. It is very easy to lace the top overly tight, as bust tissue is easily moldable. When you tighten your laces, focus on lacing the waistline first, then easing up to the bust and down to the hip. This will help distribute tissue away from the waist area and into the bust and hip area, for that hourglass look. Lace to where the gap is even top to bottom, and then look at how the corset fits. If it is gapping at the bust, then go down a cup size. If it is muffin-top or -bottom, then you need more room at the hip or bust to keep the edges smooth.
juliecmcgee
Window Shopper

Postby juliecmcgee » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:09 pm

Thank you Heather! This is very helpful.
There was definitely a bit of a gap at the top previously, so I think I will go down a little there. I also bought real coutil this time, so hopefully it will keep the shape a little better.
Thanks,
Julie
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:17 pm

The coutil will stretch the same as any other fabric, only it will take a bit longer to get there. :wink:

Return to “Corsets”