TV110 sizing and choosing busk length

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
KathyJN
Window Shopper

TV110 sizing and choosing busk length

Postby KathyJN » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:11 am

Hello,

This is my first attempt at making a corset, and TV110 has been so highly recommended that the choice was easy. Now to the sizing... I measured with a bra on, and inhaled when taking my bust measurement. Sadly, my waist, at the age of 65, is no longer trim, so I am one of those whose chosen waist size is more than 2 sizes larger than the chosen bust size. Can you confirm that what I have selected is correct?

Bust = 39" C-cup
Waist (true) = 35" - taking away 2" makes it 33"
High hip = 38"

With no adjustments, I come up with E, H, E
But because H is 3 sizes larger than E, I believe my final sizing should be F, H, E - moving down the A-cup line for the bust.

Does this sound accurate?

I'm also a little concerned about choosing the right busk length. There are lots of lengths! Can you suggest tips on how to select the right length when buying a busk?

Many thanks! I'm going to start tracing the pattern as soon as I am sure of the sizing. And then make a muslin mockup.

Kathy
Amelia Island, Florida
Heather
Site Admin

Re: TV110 sizing and choosing busk length

Postby Heather » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:11 pm

I think I would go with a size H for the waist. Then do the G-A cup for the bust. The extra 1" shouldn't be too much of an issue. Then for the hip, I like to make sure that you have some room. If it is too tight over the hip, then you can't pull in the waist. So I think go with the size F hip. A little extra room is usually not too bad.

For the busk and boning lengths, you want to do a mock up and make any alterations that you might need, checking the height and lengths of you corset. Then, measure each boning channel to get the needed lengths for each channel.

I hope this helps.
KathyJN
Window Shopper

Postby KathyJN » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:18 am

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm really glad I asked, and appreciate that you take the time to help us newbies! After I asked about the busk, it dawned on me that once the mock-up was done, it would be easy to determine what length I needed. I'll post my mock-up to let you see how things went. (I'm glad I'm a bit squishy, rather than the 100 lbs. I weighed 15 yrs. ago... just wish I was little less squishy, but then, the corset will help.)

Kathy
KathyJN
Window Shopper

Postby KathyJN » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Hello again,

Well, I finally got out my big table in preparation for some pattern tracing and mock-up cutting. Now I realize I'm not quite sure where to apply the different sizes/letters. I know I need to gradually fade from one size letter to another. But I think that's not meant to be done on every pattern piece, right? In going from waist H to hip F, the fading is done only on the side and back pieces? If I'm doing G (A), H, F - I begin at G at the top of each pattern piece, fade to H at the waist, and then eventually fade to end at F? It seems weird when F is smaller than H. I feel so foolish; I should know what I'm doing! Thanks again.

~Kathy
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Fade from G to H on all pieces from bust to waist. Then, for the hip, start at the side seam of piece 3 fading to the F at the hip. Stay with the size H to the hip of the 1- front, and 2 - side front pieces. The side and back should still have flair, even going to the smaller size. If you are worried about it being too slim, then go down only once side to the G.

Return to “Corsets”