TVE01 Edwardian Corset: Too small (oops!)

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
vintagethimble
Window Shopper

TVE01 Edwardian Corset: Too small (oops!)

Postby vintagethimble » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:24 pm

I'm in the process of making TVE01. I decided to live dangerously and not make a mock up (I know!) and it ended up being 1.5/2 inches too small. I know that seems like a huge margin of error. Now that I've cut it out with really expensive silk and coutil I'd rather find some way to save it rather than scrap it and add another piece. I'm wondering which piece would be a good choice, either the Center Back or the Back Facing?
Heather
Site Admin

Re: TVE01 Edwardian Corset: Too small (oops!)

Postby Heather » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:27 pm

It will be too small when you first make it up. But it should stretch out a bit during the first 10 hours or so of wearing, as it breaks in. I wouldn't do any changes until afterward, and then see how it looks once broken in. The only issue is that you have a silk, and silk does not stretch as much as the cottons will. So it may or may not give you back that extra 1 1/2".

If you end up with a gap of 2-3" in the end, it will still be fine. Larger figures can go with a 4-5" gap without any problems. For a corset, it is more of a problem if your corset is too big, than if it is too small.

Return to “Corsets”