TVE corset heights

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

TVE corset heights

Postby Miss Cindy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:03 am

Since the pattern has the three different heights, does that replace the need to add/subtract length to the corset pattern. You have it built in, basically?
I am working on a corset for a lady who has a side length of 10". I could just use the high size and not have to worry about adding length elsewhere, right?
Oye, this learning curve is slow for me. LOL!
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
Heather
Site Admin

Re: TVE corset heights

Postby Heather » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:38 am

To some extent, yes, you can use the lengths for taller or shorter people. However, if she has a side length of 10", you will most likely need to add height, unless you are wanting an underbust height corset. Or maybe it will be fine afterall. If she is smaller bust, then the underbust/lower bust will most likely be fine, or is she is generously gifted, then she can settle a little lower into the corset and still most likely be fine.

I think Edwardian corsets are the most difficult style to figure out with fit and such, mostly because they don't really actually fit. So don't feel bad about not "getting" it right away. Even after making this pattern, I can really only say to make one up on your best guess and just see what happens.
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:08 pm

She has a bust measure of 39", waist of 31" naturally. I was thinking I would try the high bust with a B cup size F, waist F and hip F at middle hip.
Does that sound about right?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:07 pm

I think that will be a good start.
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Mon May 11, 2015 4:37 pm

Finally got a chance to assemble this corset and have the lady try it on. You mentioned, Heather, that the Edwardian is looser fitting at the bust than the Victorian. Well, what should I consider to be too loose? I did not get a picture, and of course I did not have the bust padding in, either, but is was quite loose, by my eye. I'd say she had about an inch worth of room between the corset top and her ribs under the arm area. I don't know if that was because she was leaning to one side for that gap. Other than that it seemed to be good on height, waist and hip fit.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon May 11, 2015 6:07 pm

For the test fitting, did it have all the boning in it and such? If not, then it will be fitting differently when you get to a version that is fully boned. Something else to consider... This corset should fit very low in front, with the waist at the front well under the rib cage. It helps to have the lady raise her arms high over her head, stretching back a tad, and then lace the waistline tight under the ribcage. This will lift the rib cage up to the proper location, and it will stay there once she lowers her arms again. This will also give her more of a swayback posture, and the extra at the sides and back may shift to the front, and the increase in the size of the lifted rib cage may eliminate the extra altogether.

What this all really means is, I have no idea if you should be making changes at this point. Go with your gut feeling. If you think the top is too large, then go ahead and take it in a bit. Or if you want to see how it goes, and are willing to pad out any gaping that remains, then stick with it to the end. Worse case scenario, you may have to start over, but the good news is you can cannibalize all the hardware for a second try.
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Tue May 12, 2015 5:17 am

Yes, I had all of the boning in it.
Okay, I will carry on and see how it goes with all the added padding. I was hoping to avoid making a second, but sometimes that happens. :? Thank you!
And I did forget to have her raise her arms for putting it on. Will do that next time. LOL!

Return to “Corsets”