Boned Grommet Tape - Has anyone used it?

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
Lardpig
Window Shopper

Boned Grommet Tape - Has anyone used it?

Postby Lardpig » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:56 am

Hello,

I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a little query about attaching grommet tape. I bought some of the tape with boning channels either side of the grommets like this http://www.venacavadesign.co.uk/shop/ho ... nnels.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The plan was to use it as pre-made lacing strips for mock ups but I am unsure how to attach it. One side of the tape is open with the seam allowances pressed inwards, similar to how the centre back is finished on TV110 but I don't know whether to use that to enclose the raw edge of the centre back panel on the mockup or whether to press the seam allowances out wards and use that to attach it like a normal seam. I have lots of ideas but I'm not sure which one is the right one! Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Boned Grommet Tape - Has anyone used it?

Postby Heather » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:58 am

You most likely want to sew it on like you would a binding tape. There are a couple different ways to do that, so you just need to pick the method that works best for you.

The biggest issue will be is that you need to trim away the center back piece the width of the grommet tape. Well, keep a seam allowance width on there, to sew the bias onto. But you will want to piece with the tape added to be the same size as the center back by itself.

If this is only for a mockup and not a finished version, so doesn't need to be neat and tidy, the easiest thing might be to just seam it on, at the location needed. This way you can just fold away the extra part of the center back piece, rather than cutting it off.
Lardpig
Window Shopper

Postby Lardpig » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:47 am

Hi Heather, thank you so much for your reply. Yes I was thinking of keeping the centre back whole rather than cutting it back and just sewing the tape on in line with where the grommets would be on the actual centre back. That seemed the easiest but I wasn't sure if it was the best way! Thank you for your help.
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:56 am

I used the same stuff to make lacing panels. I stitched the open edge and the bottom closed, inserted bones, and stitched across the top to hold them. Now, when I want to try something on, I match the CB edge of the corset with the CB edge of the bones and stitch them down along the other edge. When I want them off, I Just rip them, I don't fuss around with picking out the seam. The little thread fuzzies can be pulled out separately (often with masking tape).
Lardpig
Window Shopper

Postby Lardpig » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:10 pm

Thanks Bookwyrm, that's pretty much how I did it in the end and it was really useful, saved me some valuable time!

Return to “Corsets”