Edwardian corset - double layer

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
Saule
Window Shopper

Edwardian corset - double layer

Postby Saule » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:01 am

I've a question about the Edwardian corset. I want to make this up with a silk outer layer and a coutil inner layer. I was wondering how to do this construction-wise, as the instructions are for single layer. I could treat the pattern pieces as one, and make it up following the instructions. Another option would be to make the two layers separately so that the raw seams of the outer layer would be hidden. Then the question would be if I would put the boning in before merging the layers or after... Anyway, I'm mostly curious what would be the most period method to do this?
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Edwardian corset - double layer

Postby Heather » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:49 am

I would flat line your fabrics together, and then make it up using the single layer construction. You can do the two layers separately, and match them up at the end. But the boning does not always follow the seam lines, so you will still have to put half the bones in channels on the inside, rather than between the layers. If you are flat lining the layers together with a serger, the edges will be finished and not ravel. If you don't have a serger, then a simple zig-zag over the edges will hold them.
Saule
Window Shopper

Postby Saule » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:49 am

Thanks for the quick information!
Saule
Window Shopper

Postby Saule » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:11 am

The corset construction is coming along nicely. I'm currently planning the boning, and I'm a little stuck. The pattern calls for 4 bone casings (so 8 bones) in the front side. When I follow the lay-out of the pattern, I can't really fit that many in though. I'm quite slender, and at the bottom I can't fit 4 casings next to each other without placing one on the hip-pad. If I use just 3, I have about 2,5 inches separating them at the top. Would this be all right? Or should I place one on the hip?

This is a picture of the lay-out with 3 casings (I'm still making the correct casings, they will eventually be just a bit wider even than this):

Or, in the scheme:
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:00 am

I think if you are going to omit one, I would omit the one closest to the busk, and keep the other 3. The busk itself provides more support than the boning, so I doubt you'll even miss the boning right next to it.

Return to “Corsets”