Slightly confused on modifying?

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
Marie Monett
Window Shopper

Slightly confused on modifying?

Postby Marie Monett » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:01 am

Hi, I recently got the TV110 pattern and my measurements are

I'm a 44H in bra sizes but I measure 52'' bust. So I figured I'd go with a 52 DD? Correct if I'm wrong on that part

My waist is 45/46 laced and my Hip is 52/53'' and I know I have to alter the pattern to fit that but I have no idea how to do so. Does anyone have a picture or diagram of how to do so? I tried tracing and doing the lines but nothing matches the pattern itself and it lacks straight lines (definitely on the front and back pieces)

Any help? :bang:
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Slightly confused on modifying?

Postby Heather » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:27 am

The cup size in a corset is more about the difference between bust and waist, rather than actual cup size. So really, based on your measurements, I would go a whole other way.

Start with your waist size, at 45" is a size N. Now, if you go up the chart for the bust sizes, the size A cup will fit a 54" bust. (Make sure when you measure your full bust, that you are measuring high in the back over your shoulder blades. If you measure low, then you are cheating yourself out of a couple of inches.) Then for the hip, you can go down one size to the M.
Marie Monett
Window Shopper

Postby Marie Monett » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:57 pm

I measured the wrong way ! I am I 54.3'' in the bust apparently

So I would do

Bust A Cup N
Waist: N
Hip: M?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:39 pm

I think that would be a good start. Often with corsets, you don't really know how it will fit until you get it laced up. So you almost have to make the corset up just to see how it fits. I would go with the N, A cup, M hip and see what happens. Wear it about 10 hours total (split into a couple hours on different days is best) and then see how it works for you. Then if you see places you would like to make changes, you will know what you want to fix for your next one.

Return to “Corsets”