Sizing Question

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Sizing Question

Postby kellydofc » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:46 pm

I have had some weight changes and I think it is time to make a new corset.
My old measurements were
Bust 43"
Waist 34"
Hips 44.5"
I made a corset with bust F with B cup, Waist F and Hips G

I am now
Bust 41" I have gone down 1 cup size
Waist 33.75
Hips 42.5

So I am thinking of making the new corset bust F with A cup, Waist F and hips F.

Is this correct?
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Sizing Question

Postby Heather » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:17 pm

Yes, that sounds reasonable. However, I would put on your old corset and see how it fits, and where you would like to make changes. If the waist area fits well, but the hip and bust are too big, then you are good to go.
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Postby kellydofc » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks Heather.
While I have your attention I have a sort of odd ball question. I have noticed that while I have a nice silhouette in my corsets I get absolutely no waist reduction, in fact my waist measurement is a little bigger in my corset. Am I doing something horribly wrong (for example should I be using spiral boning instead of flat steel) or does this just occasionally happen? Please note, I am always laced in well, there is no looseness at all around the waist area and there is a 3" gap in the back. Thanks.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:11 pm

There are a couple things that will effect your waist size in a corset.

The biggest issue is how well your body squishes. Typically, larger people squish much better than thin people, as muscle and bone is very firm and hard to shift around. But I have seen some very heavy people that were very firm, with no squish, and smaller people that can squish very well, so every body is different. Some people can take 6" off their waist, and some people add 1".

The next thing will be the shape the corset. Once laced, you body becomes the corset shape. If your corset does not have small waist and big hips, your body will not end up with small waist. Since body tissue shifts around, and doesn't just disappear, if you shift it from your waist it has to go up and/or down. A corset should be smaller than your body in the waist, but your same size, or maybe even a little bit big at the bust and waist. And your hips are bone and don't shift at all. The corset has to have enough room at the hip to get back out over your hip after you pull in the waist.

Lastly, how you lace your corset can make a difference. Your corset should pull very tight at the waist, but then the tension should ease to almost nothing at the top and bottom. You do not pull the entire corset to the same tension top to bottom. Pull the waist in first as you tighten your laces. This will give your body the time to shift. Then tighten up and down from there. If you tighten at the top and bottom first, you are shifting your bust and hips into the waist area, and you get a thicker waist, rather than a smaller one.

Return to “Corsets”