Reducing waist size

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Reducing waist size

Postby Miss Cindy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:35 am

Okay, I tried to find the info doing a search, but could not find it.
If you want to get a smaller waist size on an already thin frame, do you need to make the bust and hip sizes a bit larger than would otherwise be done? And at the bust, I am thinking it would need to be the rib cage size not the cup size that needs to be larger.
If this is correct, how much larger would be good? Or does that vary on the person?
I made a corset for a lady and I was bummed that I was only able to get about 1/2" reduction in the waist. And her measures only vary by a few inches.
I did read one posting that mentioned adding some padding to both ends, but I am not sure that is something I could figure out. Tho', if I can, I am going to try to make the hip padding like the one here. http://www.festiveattyre.com/2013/09/na ... ports.html
Thank you for any advice!
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Reducing waist size

Postby Heather » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:48 am

People with a small frame have a harder time reducing their waist than a fuller framed person. The reason is a smaller frame person has to squeeze ribs, where a fuller frame is usually just shifting tissue around. Sometimes you have to be content with little changes, and not push for bug ones. That being said...

When you lace a corset to shrink your waist, nothing disappears. You are shifting thing around, but not removing them Think of a tube of tooth paste. If you squeeze the middle, the ends fill up. If you squeeze the entire tube, nothing changes. Same with your body. If you squeeze the middle (waist) you need room at the bust and the hip for stuff to go. I don't usually make the bust and hip larger than the body, but you certainly don't want to make them smaller. When looking at your measurements, you only reduce the waist measure the 2-4". Do not subtract anything for the bust and hip measures.

This also becomes a problem if you do mockup fittings of your corset. If your mockup fits your natural body, then it won't do anything different when you go to lace the finished corset. This is why I really don't do mockups for corsets, other than to look and lengths and such. I make corsets based on the numbers. Then you have to wear it for several days to see if/where you would like to make changes.

The last part about this is how you lace the corset up. You can mess up a well fitting corset by lacing it up badly. You want to pull the waistline tight first, then ease up to the bust and down to the hip. When laced, the corset should be tight at the waist, and then gradually ease to loose but supportive at the bust, and loose at the hip edge. The center back edges should be parallel to each other, with a 1-3" gap, the same width top to bottom.

I hope this helps?
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:07 pm

Thank you for your response, Heather!
I do have another question on this.
Since it is for a lady whose waist won't reduce much, should I still subtract the 2-4 inches at the waist? Or could that reduction be less? Say 1-2 inches?
Thank you, again, for your help!
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:34 pm

Subtract the amount that you think she will shrink. So if you know that you will only get 2" of reduction, subtract 2" from her waist. If you know that she will not shrink at all, then use her natural measurement as is, or maybe just take off 1" just in case. Or if you know what her measurement usually is with a corset on, use that measure as is.
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:32 am

Thank you! I was thinking along the same lines, but wanted verification. You are the best, Heather!
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:24 am

Sorry to bother you, but I have another question.
On the last piece, #6, if I am making the hips larger than the waist and bust, should I make a straight line from top to bottom between the two sizes? (It seems that would make the waist larger.) Or should I cut the smaller of the two sizes and maybe add a little to the opposite side of the straight edge to compensate for the larger hip size?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:49 pm

You can break the straight line in the back, and just go out to the different size below the waist. Or, if you want to keep the straight line (I prefer the straight) then you can either ignore the center back piece, or add to the side edge of the center back instead.

Return to “Corsets”