Tissot Painting Corsets

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Tissot Painting Corsets

Postby kellydofc » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:53 pm

I have always wondered what the women were wearing corset wise in this painting by Tissot http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/james-tissot/remembrance-ball-on-board-1
Today I found this corset on the V&A site http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O355224/corset/ and wondered if this is what they are wearing.
If they are how supportive are these corsets? I am on the larger size about a 41" bust and a 32" waist. I don't want to take the time to make this corset only to find my bosom is flopping around.
If this is in the wrong place feel free to move it.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Tissot Painting Corsets

Postby Heather » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:12 pm

I have wondered the same thing myself. I suspect the blue dress has a standard height corset, but the yellow one is definitely on the low side. In fact, I can't believe the dress lining is that low. I've never seen anything else like it, ever. I do see something that appears to be higher than the dress lining, but it is still rather lower than a corset should be.

A waist cincher style corset will offer no support for your bust. The only thing that will help contain you is the chemise. (Which also seems to be missing in the Tissot painting.) So if you need support, this style is not for you. I am pretty sure the blue cincher pic you show is an outer wear belt/corset. Not an actual corset to wear under your clothes. Which were often called Medici Belts. Hmm, though most of those usually have a hook/eye or lace closure, not a busk.
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Postby kellydofc » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:25 am

Thanks Heather, and here I thought I had finally found the answer. I guess I'll just continue to make my copy of the dress with a higher lining so I can wear my normal corset. I swear if I had a time machine I would go back and accost that poor yellow dress girl to find out what she was wearing under that frock.
Oh and as an FYI if you blow the picture in my link up to its largest size then you can see a faint line above the yellow underdress that I believe is her combos. I did blow it up and attach a detail of it on my blog http://kellydofc.blogspot.com/. At least I think I've solved one mystery.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:18 am

Well, you may be right, and she is wearing a cincher. I really don't see any other option, other than no corset at all. And she is young, so most likely doesn't need support. I just know this is really kinda odd for the time period.
SmileCat
Window Shopper

Postby SmileCat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:05 pm

Keep in mind also, that just because Tissot painted it that way doesn't mean the actual dress/corset was that low. The painting, The Gallery of HMS Calcutta (Portsmouth) is of a flirtatious scene of attraction. The woman in the white and yellow dress is in an eroticized pose, focusing on her hourglass figure and drawing attention to the line of her back. It would not be out of the question for her dress to be painted in a way to accentuated that.

You may or may not be able to replicate painted works because they may or may not represent reality. Just as you aren't going to be able to pose yourself like Grande Odalisque because the woman has been painted to have one arm shorter than the other and several extra vertebrae.

Return to “Corsets”