TV110 - busk knobs THROUGH SA, or alongside it?

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
Dede
Costume Afflicted

TV110 - busk knobs THROUGH SA, or alongside it?

Postby Dede » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:53 am

Having a brain freeze... When attaching/inserting the knob side of the busk, do the knobs go through the seam allowance? Or next to the seam allowance?

ALSO... (now that I have your attention) :mrgreen: can I bag the corset? That is, sew the front and lining separately. I've done this with cutesy wench-style corsets and it worked out fine, but TV110 is my first "real" corset... can I still get away with it? I hate exposed raw seams... *shudder*
Heather
Site Admin

Re: TV110 - busk knobs THROUGH SA, or alongside it?

Postby Heather » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:01 am

The nobs go through the fabric, not the seam. Read the instructions, and it will tell you how to find the exact placement. Are you sewing a 2 layer corset? If so, and you follow the instructions in the pattern, all the seams will be hidden. Yes you can always bag line the corset. But they way I do it, all errors that creep into bagged corsets are eliminated as you sew. It is also way faster. Following the instructions, and you will have a professional looking corset every time.
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Postby Dede » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:58 am

Heather wrote:Yes you can always bag line the corset. But they way I do it, all errors that creep into bagged corsets are eliminated as you sew. It is also way faster. Following the instructions, and you will have a professional looking corset every time.

Thank you, Heather. I'm re-reading (actually re-re-reading) the directions again. Maybe I just need to dive in and start sewing before I "see" it.
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Postby Dede » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:46 pm

It worked! Image All I had to do was follow the directions! Image And it looks amazing... except... it really doesn't seem wide enough.

Haven't yet sewn the boning channels or set the grommets -- just did a dry fit (holding it up around her), and the sides barely wrap around to her back. We had made and adjusted a toile and measurements appeared to be correct. She doesn't have a whole lot to compress; her weight is mostly in her hips.

Should I go ahead with the boning and grommets? Or rip out the busk and start over? Not really sure what it's supposed to look like at this point.

Help?

EDIT: Feel free to separate and more this post to "Does this fit right?" if you feel it's appropriate.
Last edited by Dede on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:05 pm

At this stage, just holding the corset up, it will look way too small. Keep going, it will be fine when it is done and broken in a bit. :D
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Postby Dede » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:01 pm

Thanks so much, Heather! We shall carry on! :D
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Postby Soundbrigade » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:56 am

In the beginning I pushed the knobs through the seam allowance and got some "interesting" effects. If a knob missed the seam allowance I got a nasty bump.
Learning by my own mistakes ... :bang:
Magnus

When in trouble, when in doubt
Run in circles, scream and shout.
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Postby Dede » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:59 am

I really must say... I'm thrilled with how easily everything went together... ONCE I READ THE DIRECTIONS! And the directions were very straightforward and simple; I'm just so used to skipping directions on modern patterns that I initially did the same with TV110. 8)

Thank you so much, Heather!
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Postby Dede » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:26 am

After all the drama... Image TV110 fits my daughter like a dream! She is very small busted, with a narrow waist and large hips. I made one mock-up, and had to adjust it only once (to decrease the bust). Put in extra boning channels wherever they would fit and used spiral steel for the body, although I did use zip ties in one of the extra front channel pairs (ran out of steel).

She now has something that approaches cleavage. She said her heavy-bookbag-carrying back didn't hurt when she was wearing it, and that it was comfortable!

Now to start the rest of her prom ensemble: TV405 and TV365 (no skirt; just leggings and long lace-up boots - should be interesting!). Image
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:10 am

Awesome! Can we see pics when it is all done?
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Postby Dede » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Heather wrote:Can we see pics when it is all done?

I am looking forward to seeing this, too!
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Postby Dede » Wed May 28, 2014 7:11 am

Forgot the link to photos... two years ago. *duh*

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6813

Yes, I am in one of the photos. Please regard my appearance kindly as I was up all night finishing the bodice... and still wearing the same outfit. :|

Return to “Corsets”