Great article about corsets and crinolines

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
SarahS
Inquiring Mind

Great article about corsets and crinolines

Postby SarahS » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Despite it's title much of this from the V&A is about corsets especially staring on page 2.

http://www.fathom.com/course/21701726/session1.html
Last edited by SarahS on Sun May 01, 2011 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Great article about corsets and crinolines

Postby Heather » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:51 pm

It's a shame that whoever wrote the historical article clearly hates corsets and is of the "evil and horrible corset" frame of mind. I always find it amusing that few people realize that women have worn corsets for the last 500 years or so, and only just in the last 60 years or so, stopped wearing them. The last bit, page 5, seems to be written by someone who likes and understands corsets, at least in a modern context. People who have never worn a corset should not be allowed to write articles about them. :bang: :mrgreen: :fence:
SarahS
Inquiring Mind

Postby SarahS » Sun May 01, 2011 1:59 am

No, she isn't like that at all! Keep reading she goes on to debunk those old myths!
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sun May 01, 2011 7:47 am

I seemed to me that the phrase "uncomfortable and restricting" was included in every paragraph. Even the top of page five says "The presence in contemporary wardrobes of a garment from the nineteenth century, physically oppressive and associated with women’s inferior status,". I can tell that they don't intend to be biased, but all the words they use have connotations of corsets as torture devices inflicted on women, in the name of fashion.

They don't state anywhere that the corset is a support garment, or that wearing these dresses without a corset really is torture. You need a corset to hold up the bust, and to support the heavy skirts. All they focus on is the "uncomfortable and restricting" fashion of the 19th century.
SarahS
Inquiring Mind

Postby SarahS » Sun May 01, 2011 9:52 am

Well hmmm, yes she does mention that corsets are restrictive in some places, well the are, I've been wearing them daily for several years now and there is no denying this simple fact. She also dispels many of the silly myths and presents some interesting things, I've often wondered what an electric corset was as the ads made it difficult to see, now I know. I think you are being very unfair and harsh and no the article wasn't meant to cover every detail it was a short article not a book! I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't have posted the link if I didn't think it was a good introductory article with useful info and germaine to some old posts on this board...but now I'm sorry I did.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sun May 01, 2011 11:21 am

No, I'm sorry, you're right. I am being overly harsh. It is a pretty nice article overall. I just get a bit tetchy over the modern conceptions people have of corsetry. I get tired of the "OMG, you're wearing a corset? How can you stand it?," "I would never wear a corset" attitude the general pubic has. Especially the age 50 an over crowd. I wish an article aimed at these same people was a little less reinforcing of this opinion. But then, maybe they wouldn't accept the article if is said anything less. I liked the parts about the bustle and hoops and post 1900.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Mon May 02, 2011 10:31 am

A novelty bustle made to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee celebrations contained a less useful device. It was fitted with a musical box that played 'God Save the Queen' each time the wearer sat down!

WANT!!
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
AmandaDC3
Window Shopper

Postby AmandaDC3 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:19 am

MaryGode wrote:
A novelty bustle made to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee celebrations contained a less useful device. It was fitted with a musical box that played 'God Save the Queen' each time the wearer sat down!

WANT!!

No way! Every time you sat down, you'd just have to jump back up to attention again... :D
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue May 03, 2011 5:38 pm

I thought it played when you stood up!
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Tue May 03, 2011 6:54 pm

AmandaDC3 wrote:
MaryGode wrote:

WANT!!

No way! Every time you sat down, you'd just have to jump back up to attention again... :D

Nuh-uh! I'm an American. I bow only to God, and then only if I'm so inclined. Image
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
SarahS
Inquiring Mind

Postby SarahS » Wed May 04, 2011 4:48 am

Of course if you wanted to it would be pretty easy to do it with modern stuff, start with the parts from a musical postcard...
Or if you could find a small music box it shouldn't be that hard to rig it to play when you sat down.
It would make more sense if it played when you stood up, but that would be a bit harder to rig.

Maybe this would be a good idea for steam punk outfits. I can just see sitting down and having say "Blue Suede Shoes" coming out of nowhere.

Reminds me of a movie scene I think it was in "Out of Africa" when "God saves the King" starts playing and all the British citizens in the bar have to leap to their feet. And another movie where a man says "are they playing God Save the King? I never know when to stand up I'm tone deaf you see". Can't remember which movie maybe "Murder on the Oriental Express"??

But don't forget we Americans have to stand up when the judge comes into the room (well or risk a contempt of court fine) not to mention when our national anthem starts playing, even when I hate what this country is doing I'll still stand up programmed to do it from all those years in elementary school...I'm sure the same thing is instilled into English school children. Oh well at least we don't have that arpeggio that the British national anthem has it took me a long time to figure out some of those words (at least it's short though). Of course being a believer in science and random chance I don't need to stand up for God, only if Mr. Darwin walks into the room :wink: .
AmandaDC3
Window Shopper

Postby AmandaDC3 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:21 am

According to my etiquette training from being a Girl Scout and a baseball fan: Americans stand to salute the flag and for the National Anthem with right hand over heart. We also stand during other national anthems out of respect. Example: at a New York Yankees vs. Toronto Blue Jays game, an American fan would stand with his or her hand over heart for the Star Spangled Banner, and remain standing but without hand over heart for O, Canada. If the game is at Yankee Stadium, O, Canada would be played first because the Blue Jays are visitors.

Uh, topic? I'll be in a class to get my corset made on May 15th!
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Wed May 04, 2011 3:09 pm

...if Mr. Darwin walks into the room...

I'm reaching for my zombie repellant.
SarahS
Inquiring Mind

Postby SarahS » Fri May 06, 2011 1:07 pm

That should read "stand respectfully for a moment, then run"...he would understand. :wink:
Birda
Window Shopper

Postby Birda » Tue May 17, 2011 9:26 am

Thank you for posting this. I had not seen the pictures in the article before. As to corset comfort, I had a back injury last year which has left me pretty much hurting 24/7. I wore a working corset while making my first Victorian. Some friends & family thought I was crazy, but it helped keep me standing and sitting straight, and actually helped relieve some of the pain. A proper fitting corset is an asset, not a burden.
Kit
Costume Afflicted

Postby Kit » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:46 am

Coming to this topic a bit late, but after reading the article, it sounds to me like the author was prepared to swallow the whole dangerous/stupidly restrictive argument about corsets hook, line and sinker but after actually doing some research was forced to grudgingly admit much of the information was a bit exaggerated.

For those of us who have worn (any) period of historical clothing, with the correct underpinning, we can roll our eyes or snicker at those less informed. Try wearing Tudor or Elizabethan without a corset, bumroll or good farthingale and your screaming lower back pains will point out your errors quickly. Yes, there is some restriction in wearing these kinds of garments but not nearly what modern nay-sayers would have us believe. I have found myself the most restricted in English Civil War clothing, not from my corset however, it was the cut of the bodice that restricted me raising my arms much above shoulder level. It was however, a copy of a bodice worn by Queen Henrietta Maria and more "normal" clothing from that period doesn't restrict me as much, even wearing a corset.

BTW, hello to everyone I have missed for quite sometime. Some severe health issues with loved ones and family members have claimed a great deal of my time and taken my creative energies out the door with them. I'm hoping that has changed, I have my combinations and corset mock up cut out and am planning an outfit for a wedding in upstate New York early next summer :D
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris - If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar
http://amsterdamesshop.com/Home_Page.php

Return to “Corsets”