Corset dress - how to?

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Corset dress - how to?

Postby Soundbrigade » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:54 am

This is a subject high up on my "must-do-list", but I do my best to keep it away from the agenda, because I have either no clue how to do it OR have too many ideas. Beside it isn't a true Victorian outfit (if that should be of any problem??).
Shortly my question could be: How do I sew a corset dress?

Main questions is how I fix the front and the back. I guess a busk comes in handy in front of a dress, but below the busk? A Zipper or do I stich the dress together?
And in the back? I can hardly lace it up all the way down to the hem, so where do I end the lacing and how am I to finish the dress below the lacing - Zipper??
Some of my ideas is to use the kind of hooks you find on skates and boots. (Boot hooks. Those could come in handy whenever a corset is made up without a opening busk in front.

Whilst waiting for answers, hope someone has already sewn such a dress and have ideas how to make it, I will "put my teeth" in a piece of suede and sew an UB-corset.

Ed. bed speling
Magnus

When in trouble, when in doubt
Run in circles, scream and shout.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Corset dress - how to?

Postby Heather » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:44 am

I saw a corset maker who made a dress like this once. I want to say the name was "Dark Garden" or something similar. Based out of San Francisco, or there abouts. It was a beautiful dress. As I recall, there was no front busk, it was seamed down the center front. But you could keep the busk in the seam the front below the busk if you wanted to. For the back, lade it down to the hip and seam it below that. Should be quite easy to do really. Lots of modern wedding dresses are made this way right now.
rangerfeline
Costume Afflicted

Postby rangerfeline » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:41 am

Yup, Dark Garden, Linden Street, SF. The proprietor (proprietress?) is Autumn Carey Adamme.

http://www.darkgarden.com/

My everyday corset came from Dark Garden. They do very, very nice work.
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Postby Soundbrigade » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:43 am

Thanks!
I have friends in Houston who bought corsets from DG. Good company appearantly.

I was Googling a bit and found the following pics and links:
Picture I saw this dress in a Russian webshop. I should have more pics.
Picture - back of a corset dress, laced all the way.
Linkto pictures and description of DG's corset dress.
Leather corset dress - laced below the busk and all the way down back.
Picture, this one is cute. A flared dress with a corset upper part.
Long corset dress

Much of my ideas and inspirations for a corset dress comes from BURDA International 2-89 (!!!!) where a "little black dress" is described. It has a tight top and a tulip formed skirt. I sew this one once for my wife and it was perfect as she has bust size 38, waist 36 and hip 40 which normally gives me some problems when sewing dresses.
Anyway here are pics:
Pic #1 Note that there's a wide taffeta belt around the waist.
Pic #2 The outlay of parts.
I know this model is not good enought to make up a corsetdress but I'd like to stay close to this idea.
Magnus

Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Postby Soundbrigade » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:15 am

I did tutor five ladies how to sew Victorian Corsets last weekend on, what is supposed to be, Scandinavia's biggest Inspiration- and Sewing Fair and as we were housed in a High School, we also had the teachers from the various handicraft programs coming over to check our progress and someone showed us a German paper called Damen Rundshau wich is a special magazine aimed mostly for pros and experienced seamstresses.
In the 9/98 issue were two designs - Abendkleid im Lingerie-Stil (Eveningdress in lingerie style) and Corsagenkleid (Corsage dress). If processed a little those two patterns are as close and prefect as can be.
Magnus

Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:49 am

These might give you an idea
Image.Image
Lioness
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Postby Soundbrigade » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:37 am

They sure will.

I also found this one on Aliexpress.
Magnus

LeBurns
Window Shopper

Postby LeBurns » Thu May 05, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi,
I am new here from California and I am looking for a trendy wedding dress. They are really costly and I am also trying to stitch it myself. Do you think is it a good idea to purchase fabric from China and stitch it myself, Possible? Or its just a waste of time?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri May 06, 2016 8:51 am

Well, that depends on your skill level. If you have experience sewing, and feel comfortable working on a special project, then yes, you can do it, go for it. If you are a novice sewer, then this might not be the best project to learn on.
LeBurns
Window Shopper

Postby LeBurns » Mon May 09, 2016 11:23 am

Hi,

I think its hard for me to do all this. I searched more and I found another way to have made to measure services from other country like China, India etc. It costs less and get a good fabric dress according to my size!

Return to “Corsets”