First self-made corset for a curvy girl

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
linzibean
Window Shopper

First self-made corset for a curvy girl

Postby linzibean » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:29 am

Hi all,

I've been wearing corsets for a few years now on and off, but never been 100% with set sizes because I'm an odd shape. I'm now looking more seriously into making my own to go with a c.1885 bustle gown I'm making for an event in November, rather than wear one of my usual models. Which pattern would you recommend? My unlaced measurements are 38-34-44, and I usually wear a 30" corset. I find however it's usually too loose around the bust, no matter how I lace it! I'm not a novice seamstress, but have never attempted a corset before. Thanks in advance :)
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:04 am

If you are wearing off-the-rack corsets, the hip area is most likely smaller than you need. And if the hip is too small you will not be able to pull in the waist area as much as you could. And if you can't pull in the waist, then the bust area of the corset won't fill out either. We are hoping here that your middle is somewhat squishy, so you will end up with a more hourglass shape. But sometimes people are solid in the middle, and the shape you start with is the shape you end with.

I think you should start with TV110 corset as that has a nice big hip, which is what you need more than anything. You will most likely need a smaller cup size than you wear in a bra, and that is fine. If you find that you are more solid in the middle, then you may want to consider adding some padding to the bust area of the corset. This is a period correct beauty treatment, just like a push-up bra today. The idea is look as hourglass as possible, and anything that gets you there is good.
linzibean
Window Shopper

Postby linzibean » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks heather :) Yes I am quite squishy in the middle, I usually acheive a nice hourglass figure. You're right, it's usually the hips that make a corset "off" fit wise. Thanks for the advice, I will try the 110 :)
Miranda Miller
Information Junkie

Postby Miranda Miller » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:36 pm

You sound like me in size, and TV110 really helped me get a good shape, the only thing that bugged me was that I had to knock down my cup size a bit to stop from slipping down. Truthfully, I could have added padding, but it seemed like too much bother at the time. Also using a mix of spiral and flat steel where needed really makes it a comfy fit. ^_^

Return to “Corsets”