Corset Laces - what do YOU use?

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
Patricia T
Inquiring Mind

Corset Laces - what do YOU use?

Postby Patricia T » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:44 am

I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the thread. :oops: :roll:

What do you all use for laces? I've used the purchased laces, pre-cut on corsets meant for underwear and ribbon on corsets for outerwear costumes where there would be less lacing stress.

I'm making up corsets that will be worn as period correct underwear for 2 productions, both are circa 1900 Chekhov. I have all the other supplies but I don't want to wait to order laces! I also don't want to spring for a roll of lacing and the heat shrink tips as I just don't think I'll use it all up.

What are some of the alternatives?

Thanks! :D
nicolechip
Inquiring Mind

Postby nicolechip » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:55 am

Corset laces from Greenberg and Hammer. They are 5yds precut and pretipped and cost about $2.25 each. Very durable and just the right length- no need to buy a roll and try to tip them yourself. You can go to their website to see- they take orders by phone and fax (info on website).
Nicole
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:38 am

You can use the ribbon if you like. It is very strong and lasts quite a while. My sister has a ribbon in her corset (started out as a temporary fix) and a year later it's still in and working great. You could use drapery cord too, if you need it in a hurry. But long run, buying a corset string is usually best. I use the Greenburg cord. The cotton style tends to rot and break over time, but they now have nylon cord too.
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:17 am

I use a flat nylon braid that can be bought here for about $NZ1.25/m. I asked for samples so I could see how well they would hold up to the friction of the lacing holes by scraping them over the edge of a plastic pamphlet display;) This one actually held up very well.
This is a flat ribbon-like braid.
[url=http://www.arrayedindreams.com]arrayedindreams.com[/url]
valleyviolet
Information Junkie

Postby valleyviolet » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:35 am

I buy 2.5 yard long boot laces and then use two. They have the advantage of being very strong and very very cheap (about $1.10 a pair). I bought like 20 pairs years ago, so I think I managed to lose the website in the mean time. :(
"The difference between clothing and fashion is a lack of peer pressure."
pokidi
Inquiring Mind

Postby pokidi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:36 am

I've got a gorgeous green ribbon in it now!
Like Heather's sister I initially put it there as a temporary fix, but it's much stronger than I expected, and it looks nice as well!
Canned Insanity
clementine
Information Junkie

Postby clementine » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:07 pm

When I made my corset I couldnt find any local store selling shoe laces long enough.So I cut 2 long lenths of thin [I think there 1/16] grograin ribbon, one in red and one in black.The colours of my corset. After over a year there still holding up fine,and being grograine they stay tied very well.And the ribbon was like 33cents a roll for like 10 yards of it.

Return to “Corsets”